Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A Lovely British Horror Film



Staring: Jamie Bell, Ruaidhri Conroy, Laurence Fox, and Andy Serkis


Written and Directed by
Michael J. Bassett

IMDB Plot Summary:In the middle of World War I, nine British soldiers caught behind enemy lines seek refuge in a complex network of German trenches. What they soon discover is that they aren't alone...and it isn't a German soldier that's hunting them down


I saw this film at my local blockbuster, and i didn't have to much hope in it being that great. Even though Clive Barker said it was a good and creative film. I didn't want to get my hopes up, the last time I listened to a horror director that i respect on a cover of a movie box, it was Tobe Hooper and that movie was house of 1000 corpses. And that film was god awful. Well, much to my surprise, this film was wonderful. Clive did not steer me wrong. It has Jamie Bell from "Billy Elliot." as a terrified sixteen year old soldier who lied about his age to get into the army. it also stars Andy Serkis who is best known as the voice of Gollum from the lord of the rings films, as a insane soldier who wears furs and uses clubs against his enemies. Both actors give fine performances.There are certain scenes in the film which made me understand why Clive liked this film so much, if you're a fan of his work like I am, you'll know what I'm talking about when you see it. this movie actually had some creepy moments , and I thought that wasn't possible since I've become so jaded with horror. it a nice change of pace from the slasher formula of " tits-blood-tits-shitty rock song-tits and more blood-" don't get me wrong, I love that type of stuff, but once in a while it's good to cleanse the pallet with something of quality. This movie is that pallet cleanser. I highly recommend it.

No comments: