Monday, March 07, 2005

Mr. Elwes, I preferred Men In Tights.



Staring : Cary Elwes, Leigh Whannell , Monica Potter Dina Meyer, and Danny Glover.


Directed by
James Wan


IMDB Plot Outline: With a dead body laying between them, two men (Whannell and Elwes) wake up in the secure lair of a serial killer who's been nicknamed "Jigsaw" by the police because of his unusual calling card.

Tagline: Every piece has a puzzle.

Ok, I liked this movie until about half way through it. It's really amazing. I was thinking this was an interesting premise and some decent acting. But all of a sudden it was like the movie had hit some invisible limit and both the acting and the dialog went to hell. Plus there's the fact that I don't buy the ending for a minute. The dead guy? Come on. Now before someone says, "you buy the ending to Friday the 13th, When obviously most of those killings couldn't have been done by an elderly woman, plus they showed the killer's hands and they were obviously the hands of a man." There is a difference. Friday the 13th didn't take itself seriously. Saw wanted to be taken seriously. Pal Tom said something similar, but used the film Jason X as an example, And that is something I can't condone. I can forgive a film quite a lot, if there is a bit of tongue in cheek attitude. But this wanted to be a "Psychological Thriller" which in Hollywood, more often than not, it means it's being pretentious and not wanting to call the movie a horror. But back to the acting, I literally cringed when Cary Elwes was crying while talking to his wife and daughter the acting was so bad. But the thing is, less than twenty minutes before, I thought his acting was decent. I don't get it. It's rare for me to see such an intense drop off of quality. While the whole sawing off of the limb scene was nasty, I still think the scene in Evil Dead II was more intense. All I can say about this movie is that it had an interesting premise but it failed in the delivery.

My verdict, if you can handle disappointment, you'll be fine with this movie

No comments: