Tuesday, December 07, 2004

A whole lot of wax




Waxwork

Staring: Zach Galligan , Deborah Foreman ,Patrick Macnee, John Rhys-Davies, Miles O'Keeffe and David Warner.

Written & Directed by Anthony Hickox.

IMDB Plot Outline: A wax museum owner uses his horror exhibits to unleash evil on the world.

Zach Galligan of gremlins fame stars in these two films. The first waxwork starts off with Zach's character being berated by his mother for talking to their butler. I think this was put in the film so we could all relate to the character. I know my mother just hated when I fraternized with the help. We get some standard 80's horror movie bits but David Warner opening the waxwork that leads the cast into some neat little homage's of horror film history; by stepping past the velvet rope in front of an exhibit you enter that particular world of wax. You get your werewolves, zombies, vampires, mummies, and of course who can think of those and not expect to see The Marquis de Sade right along with them. This film has some nice moments, but for me the highlight of the film is at the end, where a group of elderly people come to stop these wax monsters from destroying the world. If you have an old man sword fighting with a werewolf, I will love the movie. I think for the final battle scene alone, this movie is worth the couple bucks for the rental.

Waxwork II: Lost in Time

Staring: Zach Galligan ,Monika Schnarre, Bruce Campbell,Alexander Godunov,Michael Des Barres,Marina Sirtis, Patrick Macnee, and David Carradine.

Written & Directed by Anthony Hickox.

IMDB Plot Outline: In this sequel, a couple must use a portal through time to defeat evil.


Then we come to waxwork II, it picks up right where the first movie ends and this time, instead of entering the waxwork, it's just a special necklace that allows the characters to hop into different worlds, now I learned something from this movie, I learned that if Sam Raimi ever stopped walking suddenly that this director's nose would go right up is ass. This movie tries to be evil dead but fails completely; it just makes me sad that Bruce Campbell actually made a small appearance in this film. While not the worst film I've ever seen, I will say it might be the dumbest. I seriously can't think of a reason for anyone to rent this unless they get the two movies on one disc like I did. Even then, only watch it if you have two hours to waste.

No comments: