Monday, December 27, 2004

The Re-Animator Trilogy



Staring: Jeffrey Combs,Bruce Abbott,Barbara Crampton,David Gale, and Robert Sampson

Directed by
Stuart Gordon

IMDB Plot Outline: A dedicated student at a medical college and his girlfriend become involved in bizarre experiments centering around the re-animation of dead tissue when an odd new student arrives on campus.

The first film is a lovely piece of work. I'm not sure of the Lovecraft story it was based off of but I'll assume there was quite a bit of artistic license taken. Dr. Herbert West is a weird little man but you can't help but like him on some level. His partner is a bit of a bore but I think he was really only there as a reason for the girl in the movie to get naked. The decapitated head. What a lovely villain. I could talk about the oral sex scene but I'm sure that's been done to death. I will say that this was a fun movie despite the tremendous amount of zombie wang.




Staring: Jeffrey Combs,Bruce Abbott,Claude Earl Jones,Fabiana Udenio, and David Gale.

Directed by
Brian Yuzna

IMDB Plot Outline: Doctors Herbert West and Dan Cain discover the secret to creating human life and proceed to create a perfect woman from dead tissue.

This was barely a film but rather a collection of funny and weird scenes. Rent this movie if only for the many experiments leg hand, the eye fingers. And other disgusting oddities. The two main doctors come back in this film as does the decapitated head of Dr. hill. The head gets bat wings. This is absolutely lovely. I can't tell you how terrified I'd be if a human head was flying towards me. But despite the bad parts (which were many) I still liked the movie.



Staring: Jeffrey Combs,Jason Barry,Elsa Pataky, and Simón Andreu.

Directed by
Brian Yuzna

IMDB Plot Summary:Everyone's favorite mad scientist Herbert West is currently in jail after having state's evidence turned against him by his former assistant, Dan Cain. While being led away, some re-agent falls from his pocket where it is picked up by a young man that was camping nearby. The young man find Herbert down in his jail cell and learns for himself just what the re-agent is capable of.

This was a nice try but it didn't really hit the mark. In some ways it's a better sequel than bride of re-animator and in other ways it's much worse. A flying head with bat wings I can handle. I don't like cocks that are bitten off the body and then starts fighting rats. But that didn't weigh that hard against this movie. It was mostly the acting. And this film was made in Spain, it really was terribly dubbed. There were parts where you could tell it was a particular actors actual voice and then when it went to voice over because the english was hard to understand. The film takes place in prison and that's nice and fine. But there were so many times I just slapped my hands against my head and wondered why I was watching it. But I have seen worse. Only rent this one if you are a re-animator junkie. And if you want to see the worst music video you'll probably ever see.

No comments: