Friday, August 06, 2004

Fear is a powerful thing.

I had a somewhat traumatic experience at best buy last night. So I was looking through the horror section, when I saw this 400 pound man looking through the anime section. No big deal, fat guys like anime. But he walked by me and through the mop of long red hair and a goatee i saw a face that I thought I’d never see again. It was the face of "anime joe". now I should say that i worked at a comic book store for about seven years and no customer ever struck fear and loathing into the hearts of the employees like "anime joe" when I would see him, I’d turn around and go in the back of the store and ask mike to tell me when he was gone. I have no problem with folks that love anime, but this boy felt no love, it was an obsession of which he could never ever stop talking about. I remember one time he was talking about anime and he just wouldn't stop and so I said to him “you should really ask my coworker josh, he knows far more about anime than if do" it was a cowardly thing to do, I know, but I can't describe the fear. When I saw him at best buy, I could tell that he almost recognized me and I walked away very fast and kept an eye on him. My brother saw how scared I was and said with a disgusted look on his face, ”what the hell is wrong with you?". I could only mumble " you don't understand, its anime joe..."

No comments: